This past summer has proven to be quite a busy one. We are very happy to announce a demo of The Forbidden Arts has been completed and we recorded a video showing some in-game footage which can be seen here:
We explore the basics of the game mechanics, story, exploration, collectibles and challenges available. Aside from finishing a demo we have integrated hundreds of voiceovers and sound effects, and lots of music. We have built more than 50% of the game world to date and about 70% of the game is fully programmed. We are very pleased with the progress we have made and the game is playing smoothly. It's been a long road but we can see a light at the end of the tunnel and can't wait to meet you there.
In a previous blog, I discussed my thought process of level design. We thought it would be fun to take an in-depth look at what goes into building a scene. This past week I have been documenting the process of creating a scene. After viewing the 3d environment art our team had created, I was very excited to start working on the scene The Desert of Marzule. I loved the aesthetics and knew this would be a fun scene to put together.
Each scene is broken up into several parts that we call sections. By splitting the scene into sections, this allows us a lot more customization for each section, as we tend to focus on one small portion of the scene at a time. Also, from a performance standpoint: this allows us to limit the amount of 3d assets rendered on screen at any given time. There is never more than 3 sections visible while playing the game. This greatly helps to improve performance on some machines. When building a scene I can deactivate and activate sections to work on whate...